Personal Information We Collect and How It Is Used
“Personal Information” is information that identifies you as an individual or relates to an identifiable individual.
We may collect your Personal Information when you submit it to the Rail~Volution website, app or our Social Media Pages. Upon receiving your Personal Information, a user profile is generally created that links to that Personal Information. If the same Personal Information is provided in connection with future actions or activities, such actions will be added to that user profile. As described below, you may review and update such information at any time.
The following list includes the most common ways that you may provide your Personal Information to us and how Rail~Volution uses that information for legitimate business purposes. We use this information to manage our contractual relationship with you, comply with a legal obligation, and/or because we have a legitimate interest.
Through our Site
We do not ask that you register or enter any Personal Information to access or use most areas of the Site. There are exceptions to this.
- When an individual requests information, we collect name, email address and any message they choose to send. This information is generally used only to respond to your request.
- If you choose to subscribe to newsletters or blogs distributed by Rail~Volution or to join Rail~Volution’s mailing list, you may be asked to provide certain Personal Information, including your name, email address, organization, title and address.
Our partners’ and affiliates’ information in the Find an Expert pages of the Site are provided as a service. We ask each individual for permission before this information is shared. We share name, email, title, organization and specialties of these individuals so that they may provide assistance or information to our audience.
Via Software Applications
For the purposes of event registration/participation and surveys, we use third-party service providers. The information you enter into these online forms is used to provide requested Services to you or measure your satisfaction with aspects of Rail~Volution activities. If you do not provide the information requested, we may not be able to provide the service.
If you disclose any Personal Information relating to other people to us or to our service providers in connection with these Services (for example, to register for our conference), you represent that you have the authority to do so and to permit us to use the information in accordance with this Statement.
How Rail~Volution Discloses Personal Information
Rail~Volution retains and uses Personal Information to include you in ongoing emails and/or notifications for upcoming events. We also from time to time share information with trusted third parties (such as our Rail~Volution Partners) for purposes consistent with our mission. In the case of conference attendees, unless you specifically opt out, we post an Attendee List on our website (including name, organization, city and state) and share an Attendee List with conference Sponsors and Exhibitors to permit them to send marketing communications. Information generally shared this way includes name, title, organization, city, state, phone number and email address. These third-parties must tell Rail~Volution when and how such communications will be sent.
You may elect to disclose Personal Information if you post information or materials on our message boards, chat, profile pages, blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and content (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public and may be available to other users and the general public.
We also use and disclose your Personal Information if it would be necessary or appropriate, in ways other than those listed above, especially when we have a legal obligation or legitimate interest to do so.
- To comply with applicable law, including outside your country of residence.
- To respond to requests from public and government authorities, including outside your country of residence.
- To cooperate with law enforcement requests and orders.
- For other legal reasons, such as to enforce our terms and conditions or to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates.
- In connection with a sale or business transaction, including reorganization, merger or transfer of all or any portion of our operations.
From time to time we collect other information that is available. Examples of this are:
- Browser activities—IP Addresses, along with the time of the visit, pages visited and duration of visit. These are common practices used to calculate usage levels, diagnose issues and improve our design and functionality.
- We use Google Analytics, which collect information about use of Site anonymously and report website trends. You can learn about Google’s practices by visiting https://www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ and you may opt out by downloading the Google Analytics opt-out browser add-on.
- We collect information about your interactions with email messages, such as the links clicked on and whether the messages were opened or forwarded.
How You Can Access and Manage Your Information
We attempt to keep our records as accurate as possible. You may, under applicable laws, have a right to access, correct, modify, restrict or delete Personal Information that you have provided to us at any time. To do so, or to request to receive an electronic copy, call us at (612)486-5611 or contact us online.
In your request, please make it clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you want enacted on our use of your Personal Information. For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practical.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting a change or deletion (for example, information regarding any event you’ve registered to attend; we may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information until after the completion of the event). There may also be residual information that will remain in our database and other records, which will not be removed.
The Rail~Volution website, Apps and Social Media pages are not directed toward children under 13 years of age nor does Rail~Volution knowingly collect information from children under 13. We request that they do not submit any Personal Information through these Services. If a parent becomes aware that a child under 13 has provided personal information without verifiable parental consent, please inform us at firstname.lastname@example.org. We will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete such information, subject to applicable law and this policy.
California Privacy Rights
If you are a California resident and have provided Personal Information to us, you are entitled by California law to request information regarding certain categories of Personal Information we share with third parties for their direct marketing purposes. Your request should be submitted to: Attn: Database Administrator, Rail~Volution, 1624 Harmon Place Suite 206, Minneapolis, MN 55403. Within 30 days of receiving such a request, we will provide a response listing the categories of Personal Information disclosed to third parties, along with the names and addresses of those third parties, for their own direct marketing purposes during the previous year. This request may be made no more than once per calendar year.
If you are a resident of California, under 18 and a registered user of the Services, you may ask us to remove content or information that you have posted to the Services by writing to email@example.com. Please note that your request does not ensure complete or comprehensive removal of the content or information, as, for example, some of your content may have been reposted by another user.
For Users in the European Union, European Economic Area and Switzerland
You also have the right to:
- Restrict or erase: You can ask us to limit our use of your information or ask us to delete your Personal Information from our records if there is no compelling reason for us to hold onto it.
- Object: You can object, on legitimate grounds, to the processing of your Personal Information, including direct marketing and profiling.
- Access or take your data: You can ask us to confirm whether we are processing your Personal Information. You can also make a reasonable request for a copy of that information or to have it transferred to another data controller (to the extent possible.)
Third-Party Content, Links and Services
Our Services may contain links to third-party websites, applications, or similar technology that are not associated with or over which Rail~Volution has no control. Any access to and use of such linked websites is not governed by this Statement, but instead is governed by the privacy statements of those third party websites. We are not responsible for the information practices or content of those other websites and/or applications.
Rail~Volution will use a third-party payment service to process payments made through Apps. Your Personal Information will be collected by such third-party and not by us, and will be subject to the third-party’s privacy statements. We do not have control over nor do we store any payment information at Rail~Volution premises or in any Rail~Volution databases.
If you have questions, concerns or suggestions regarding this Statement or our privacy practices, you may contact us online, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or call our office (612)486-5911 Monday through Friday between 8:30 am and 5:00 pm Central Time. You may also write us at:
1624 Harmon Place, Suite 206
Minneapolis, MN 55403